A dental exam is required for regular visits or prior to advanced dental procedures. Regular check-ups include comprehensive exams that involve a detailed review of your oral health history. The exam includes:
- X-rays for detecting decay, tumors, cysts, and bone loss.
- Evaluation of tooth and root positions
- Oral cancer screening performed on the face, lips, throat, tissues, tongue, and gums
- Examination for tooth decay
- Evaluation of restorations such as fillings, crowns, etc.
After a dental exam has been performed, any notable findings may result in suggestions for treatment or solutions. A dental cleaning will generally be performed if there are any excess wastes found. The cleaning utilizes fluoride rinses and addresses not only the tooth surfaces, but the areas below the gum line.
The cleaning will remove calculus on the tooth surface. This is a form of hardened plaque known as tartar and can damage your teeth in the future. Plaque buildup is one of the leading causes of periodontal disease.
After the cleaning procedure, you will be provided with information on how to maintain healthy teeth and recognize any potential risks. To schedule a consultation for an exam and cleaning, please call our office today.